Saturday, June 04, 2005

Negara siapa?

I know this is actually old news (i.e. Wednesday's news) but I still want to blog about this. For those who do not know yet, the Malaysian government encouraging cinemas to play our national anthem before the airing of each movie. The article is found here. You'll have to excuse me for finding this EXTREMELY silly. Apparently this is to evoke a sense of patriotism and pride in Malaysians. Sad to say, if I'm forced to stand up and sing that darned song everytime I watch a movie, it will actually promote a sense of hatred and dispise for the song instead. I mean don't you think it is so silly to force something like that down people's throat? Not only will it not make me feel prouder to be a Malaysian, but I would detest the song and the government for enforcing such a stupid rule.

Sad to say, our Negaraku is pale in comparison with the national anthem of America which is rather catchy. There have been numerous people who auditioned for American Idol by singing their national anthem although not many were good enough. But imagine if someone actually sang Negaraku for Malaysian Idol auditions. Gosh! I'm sure that would be an extremely stupid decision. Firstly, the song is SO slow and dead and the song has no beat or harmony what so ever.

With a note of finality, I would like to say that IF the Negaraku is played at the beginning of my movies, the government may have successfully forced me to listen to it but that doesn't mean they can force me to stand and sing it. Well, it's up to them what happens. I personally think it's degrading and silly to do that. You think the Malaysian public would actually respect the country more for doing that?! Well, it is their decision. Fight it out among themselves and decide. May the man who accepts the most bribes win.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wa... u wanna get political recognition and hope someone will see ur site as a threat and then u will b famous ... good idea hehehe

2:36 AM  
Blogger Kev-The-Old-Man Leng said...

hahaha bobby.. yes yes.. i'm hoping to be famous... you saw right through me... SIGH! i'm so disappointed... there goes my dream of being sneaky about it... wow.. you're good bobby... :p

10:29 AM  
Blogger me me me said...

Even though I can't speak it too well, nor write, and only read a little, I'm happy I have a national language.

I like to imagine a time when everyone in the country spoke it, just so they could speak to each other.

I like to think of all the people who became friends who would otherwise never have understood each other in the first place.

And you don't have to join the army to be patriotic, you just have to love your country, no matter how bad it gets.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home