Saturday, June 11, 2005

HORRIFIC Parenting

Most Malaysians would know about the 4 young boys who got lost in Fraser's Hill while jungle trekking. Thank God they were found alive and kicking 3-4 days after going missing. Sure, everyone is glad that they are safe and all but I would like to comment that I personally feel that their parents are super duper irresponsible. I mean, yor kids are only 9, 10, 14 and 16 and you let them wander off into the woods all alone with no adult supervision?!?! I'm sorry to say but I think that that shows no sense of responsibiliy what so ever.

When I have my own kids, I'll give my children more freedom once they reach Form 4 or 5 depending on the situation in the future. :p I'll most probably allow my Form 4 son to go jungle trekking without adult supervision (ala scouts) but I'll DEFINITELY disallow him to bring my other younger sons along. That is IF I have enough sons to pull that off. :p In my own opinion that's just plain stupidity. I honestly don't care if my children call me over-protective and inconsiderate but I'd much rather be an inconsiderate dad who still has many chances to make up for it than to be remembered/known as the cool and understanding dad who has no children to continue being cool and understanding.

I know I should be extremely thankful that they survived this ordeal. Don't get me wrong, I am TOTALLY thankful that they managed to come through this experience all healthy and well. But I believe the fact that the parents should have done a better parenting job here has been put aside due to the anxiety to find them and now the joy of finding them. This is only in my own opinion.

2 Comments:

Blogger shaun said...

yeah, i think they were being pretty crappy parents. they could be those parents who let their kids go so they could have another round of cards and drinks.

but what if those kids decided to go on their own without their parents knowing? maybe it's a cover up.

whatever it is, they are fucking lucky it's only a Fraser's Hill trek. remember last time someone got lost in Taman Negara? that was pretty tragic.

6:51 AM  
Blogger kevinleng said...

sigh yeah... well, its all over now... thank God they are all safe and well... i guess its a story they can tell their own grand kids... :p

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home